With the festive season upon us and being in the spirit of giving it’s important to remember not to share everything on the table with our fury family members.

If you are going to treat your pets this Christmas, the Australian Veterinary Association reminds us to steer them clear of the following foods.

Pets should avoid these Christmas foods

Chocolate

Popular treats and gifts around Christmas, it’s very important to keep them out of reach of our four legged friends. Even in small quantities chocolate can be toxic to pets.

Avocados

It’s avocado season and they are popular at an Aussie Christmas table. Avoid giving them to your pets as they can cause damage to their hearts, lungs and tissue.

Fat & Bones

It’s tempting to let your pet polish off some leftovers after Christmas dinner, but our pets can suffer from ingesting turkey skin, sausages and other fatty foods. Also keep in mind that ham and turkey bones should not be thrown to the dogs as they can splinter and cause all kinds of issues.

Garlic & Onion

Garlic and onions are commonly used when cooking. Onions and garlic can cause gastric irritations and anaemia if consumed in large quantities. Keep foods containing these clear of your pets.

Grapes & Raisins

Delicious on your festive cheeseboard but keep in mind that grapes and raisins can cause acute kidney damage in our furry friends.

Macadamia Nuts

Are quite popular around Christmas particularly in Australia but theses nuts can be toxic to cats and dogs. Symptoms may present within 12 hours including vomiting, hypothermia and elevated heart rate. Keep them out of reach.

Nutmeg

The smell of nutmeg reminds us of Christmas. It is not very well known but nutmeg is toxic to dogs who can suffer from tremors, seizures, issues with the nervous system and even death.

Xylitol

A common sweetener used in Australia in confectionary and baked goods. If in doubt about whether a product contains this sweetener keep it for yourself and find something else for your four legged friend.

Alcohol

Who doesn’t enjoy celebrating with a glass of bubbles, beer or a wine at this time of year? Unfortunately, alcohol can be dangerous for dogs so be sure to keep those half-finished glasses out of reach and any spillages mopped up before your pet’s tongue mops it up first.

If you suspect your dog or cat has over indulged on something they shouldn’t have, do not hesitate and get them to a veterinarian immediately.

List of 24-hour vets who are open throughout the holiday season

This Christmas we recommend treating your best friend with pet approved foods and treats.

Enjoy your Christmas lunch and keep your best friend healthy this festive season!

This article was originally published on December 20, 2016

Disclaimer

This website does not provide animal medical advice and is intended for informational purposes only. All information provided is to be used as a guide only. Reasonable effort has been taken to make sure this information is accurate and current. However we cannot guarantee and assume no legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, currency or completeness of any information. Animals require a specialised diet and human food should not be used as a regular meal replacement. Individual animals can have unique reactions and allergies to certain food groups or ingredients.