Humans love Fireworks but they can be very scary for our pets
Help your pets get through the New Year’s festivities with these handy tips.
- Feed them well before the fireworks start so their full bellies make them nice and sleepy.
- Take your dog for a long walk or run around the park to wear them out before the light show.
- Take them to the toilet before the fireworks, to avoid any nervous accidents inside.
- Keep your pet inside with the windows and curtains closed.
- Distract them with their favourite toy or a long life treat such as a Kong full of goodies.
- Turn on the TV or radio to drown out the sound of the fireworks.
- If your dog or cat wants to hide – let them. Don’t try to coax them out, let them be.
- If your pet is really anxious consider an anxiety or thunder jacket (available at most good pet shops). Keep in mind WA nights can be quite hot, so don’t leave them swaddled in their jackets in the heat.
- Scents such as lavender can have a calming effect. Consider diffusing this scent or rub some diluted lavender oil on your hands and then over their bed. Note: make sure your pet likes the smell before doing this. Their sense of smell is much greater than ours so less is more.
- See your vet. If you are concerned about your pet’s safety due to their anxiety see your vet for more options.
…make sure your pets are wearing their ID tags, as pets have been known to pull disappearing acts during fireworks!
Do you have any tips to help your furry friend through the fireworks? We would love to read them, comment in the section below.
From all of us at Paws Directory have a safe and happy New Year!